THE GOLDEN GLOBES REPOLISHED
As promised, here are my random thoughts and observations on this year's Golden Globe Awards...
- Odd. Tim Robbins seems to think that the Jude/Clive/Julia/Natalie pic is pronounced “clozer.”
- Natalie wins! Banner year for Israel, what with the Olympic gold medal in windsurfing and now Princess Natalie's trophy. Why am I getting all misty?
- I think Jennifer Garner’s lips are coming off. Either that, or she’s developing a stress zit in the corner of her mouth for not winning Best Actress in a TV Drama. Is it wrong that I’m happy? I just resent that those Alias posters are everywhere. Everywhere I go, Sydney Bristow is looking at me. It's unnerving.
- “Congratulations, Natalie.” You can hear her mock-growl, just to get a laugh. And that’s why Meryl Streep rules.
- Downer…Zach Braff snubbed for Scrubs. Upper…It’s finally Jason Bateman’s move! If you have not yet seen Arrested Development, get thee to the video store, post-haste!
And now, celebrity thought bubbles:
“I’m an Oscar-winner. But I want more awards. That’s why I changed my haircolor. I’m a brunette now, and that shows my range.”
a) Renee Zellweger
b) Charlize Theron
- I can’t believe I have to wait till late summer for a new season of Nip/Tuck. That Nip/Sucks.
- Teri Hatcher was not my Housewife of choice. I think that Felicity Huffman is, far and away, the best of the five.
- My award for Least Orange Desperate Housewife goes to Kimberbree Marcia Cross. Runner-up: Felicity Huffman.
- Mick Jagger wins the Golden Globes. And for a change, they’re not on his date. The name of the song: “Old Habits Die Hard.” And Mick oughta know. What is he, seventy by now?
- Prince introduces “Ray.” Naomi Watts wasn’t miked, but her lips just clearly mouthed “I love Prince.”
- I’m having a weird thought as I watch Clint Eastwood accept his award for “Million Dollar Baby.” His bone structure reminds me of someone. And then it comes to me. Christopher Reeve. If Christopher Reeve had lived to age gracefully, he might have resembled the tall, angular Eastwood.
- Jamie on Ray: Life is notes right underneath our fingers. Take the time to play the right notes. And then, tears as he recalls the support of his late grandmother, and feels her there with him. Damn the pathos of it all—I guess I need to see this movie already.
- I love Robin Williams. The man is crazy. But in an endearing way. I always thought he was brilliant in even the critically panned Hook and Popeye, and was glad that he was recognized for both dramatic and comedic acting. His dedication of his own lifetime achievement to Christopher Reeve made the tears well.
- I’m sure that, when he accepted his award for Best Actor, Leo meant that we should keep contributing to tsunami disaster relief. Big props for sentiment. But minus two points for not finishing the sentence.
- Kate Hudson lost every one of those seventy pounds she gained during pregnancy.
- I love that Morgan Freeman has an earring. Cool. Easy Reader...that's his name.
- Hilary Swank, Jennifer Garner, and Julia Roberts all share a face. But not an award. That’s all Hilary tonight. And this time she even remembered to thank her husband.
- Sideways for Best Picture Musical or Comedy, The Aviator for Picture Drama. I’m anticipating a tough Oscar race. No one picture even came close to a sweep—tonight, Closer won two awards, two for the Aviator, two for Million Dollar Baby. It's gonna be a squeaker.
See you all in February for the Oscars, when I'll have replenished my store of sarcasm and celebrity resentment. Till then, peace y'all. Happy MLK Day. (Not to be confused with MUK Day, the official day celebrating this blog.)
And now, back to my deadline...