GREAT NEWS FOR KOSHER SICK PEOPLE
According to this report in the JTA, Triaminic has now been declared kosher:
Getting healthy with God
A cough syrup was declared kosher.
All eight varieties of Triaminic received the kosher stamp of approval from the Orthodox Union, The New York Times reported. The approval is believed to be the first time the Orthodox Union, the world largest’s largest kosher certifying agency, has certified an over-the-counter medicine as kosher.
For those of you who are not familiar with the way the Jewish/kosher certification community works, a few predictions of what happens from here:
1) The cost of Triaminic goes up.
2) By the certification of this particular brand of medication, other medications are post facto considered not only not certified but totally treyf (not kosher).
3) Children in families who have decided that medicines do not require rabbinical supervision will be teased in school (as in "David drinks treyf medicine, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah...")
4) Yeshiva day schools write letter to parents, telling them that school administrators prefer that you now buy only Triaminic, and asking them to not send treyf medications to school with their children.
5) Use of non-certified cough medicines leads to chaos, mass hysteria and, worst of all, dancing.